Uploadcare storage requires no configuration and works out of the box. The traffic and storage costs are included in your plan, and you can monitor your usage in the Dashboard.
- A file gets to our storage in one of your projects identified by its Public API key.
- Unless the file is stored, it will be deleted after 24 hours. Read about storage behavior down below.
- The file becomes available on Uploadcare CDN after the first request.
When further processing files:
- CDN operations (like image processing) don't consume your storage space because results are only cached on CDN.
- REST API operations, such as video encoding, document conversion, save new files to the storage.
You can specify whether you want to keep files permanently or not.
UPLOADCARE_STORE parameter determines if an uploaded file
should be stored temporarily or permanently and can have the following values:
0- do not mark the uploaded file as stored and remove it after 24 hours.
1- mark the uploaded file as stored.
auto- defers the choice of storage behavior to the auto-store setting.
Auto-store setting in the Dashboard is turned ON by default.
Stored or not, you can delete file at any time.
The default storing behavior in the Upload API depends on the user registration date.
For all users registered after February 12, 2024 (UTC 13:30), if they don't
UPLOADCARE_STORE value during upload, the file-storage behavior
will default to
auto. It allows you to use the storage behavior
specified in the store setting in the Dashboard.
For users registered before February 12, 2024, the default value is
If you haven't provided any
UPLOADCARE_STORE value during upload,
the uploaded file will be deleted after 24 hours.
When unsure, we recommend to use
auto and control the storage behavior
through auto-store setting.
Our official libraries default to
auto to improve quality of life for both old and new users.
Read more about setting up S3 integration.
You can have all your stored files to be copied to a custom S3 bucket automatically. Connect the storage once, and the system will do backups on a timely basis.
Read more about setting up a backup.