HIPAA is US legislation providing data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information. Uploadcare’s File API ensures your data flows are HIPAA-compliant and painless.
Getting the HIPAA compliance would usually involve forcing your way through piles of checklists and invoices from consulting agencies. With Uploadcare, HIPAA-compliant file handling becomes a matter of days and completing the three steps described below.
Before proceeding to the implementation, let’s cover what you can manage with Uploadcare in terms of HIPAA:
- BAA: we sign a Business Associate Agreement to ensure the proper handling of ePHIs (Electronic Protected Health Information).
- Data Encryption: all data are encrypted in transit with SSL.
- Access Controls: you can provide minimum necessary access by using token-free URLs as a default in your DAM (Digital Asset Management System).
- Request Monitoring: we log all network requests (POST, GET, PUT, DELETE) along with system logs.
- Request Auditing: we provide the needed logs upon your request.
- Backup: all customer data are backed up, you can configure custom backup storage.
- Risk Mitigation: when changing our infrastructure, we perform checks to assure ePHIs are not exposed to risks.
Now, let’s go on to the implementation steps.
You will need an Uploadcare account, navigate here to Sign Up. Regarding the plan option, here’s what applies:
- You can start with the Free plan to explore the platform and set up your data flows with no encryption. Note, Signed Uploads are available on our Free plan.
- All the technical requirements to set up Authenticated URLs are in place on the “Startup” plan. However, your infrastructure will not be covered by BAA on this plan (not HIPAA-compliant).
- To be well-equipped right from the start, go for our “Volume Plan” or contact us to fine-tune the pricing on the “Custom” plan.
To get started with Uploadcare, look through our docs or leave this to your engineering team. There's a series of guides allowing to integrate Uploadcare with a number of development stacks and frameworks.
Signed Uploads is a key feature when it comes to controlling who and when can upload data to one of your Uploadcare projects.
To enable Signed Uploads for a project, Navigate to your Dashboard, create a project or pick an existing one, go to “Signed uploads” in the project settings, and hit “Enable.”
Once enabled, each upload request will have to be signed to be accepted by our system. Signatures are generated on your backend. The technical details are well-covered in the Signed Uploads section of our docs.
Note, Projects are separate environments that hold files and settings. You can configure Uploadcare to power up areas of your web app that don’t require extra security.
Authenticated URLs is a second go-to Uploadcare feature when handling ePHIs. Once enabled, every client will require a token together with a URL to gain access to a file in one of your Uploadcare projects.
Note, your HIPAA-compliance will come in effect upon signing a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Uploadcare. You can request one here.
That’s it! Your product is now capable of handling ePHIs under the HIPAA act.